Luca Pagano breaks record for EPT cashes
Italian poker pro Luca Pagano picks up €110,000 at the EPT Deauville
|by Alligator Blood||February, 7th 2012||
Above: Luca Pagano cashed yet again at the EPT Deauville
Luca Pagano has broken his own record for cashes on the European Poker Tour by pocketing €110,000 at the EPT Deauville.
The 33-year-old had already burst through the bubble an astonishing 19 times at EPT events.
And he made that 20 with another hugely impressive performance in France to make his seventh EPT final table.
But despite boasting live winnings of more than £1.6m - including three WSOP cashes - he is still yet to win a major title.
He bust when Vuong Than Trong opened under-the-gun for 220,000 with 9♠9♥. Pagano moved all-in for 1,660,000 from the cut-off with A♣J♠ and was instacalled. A Q♦6♦Q♥ flop was no help and, although a T♥ on the turn gave Pagano seven more outs, none came.
The tournament was won by online specialist Vadzim Kursevich, from Belarus, who snares €875,000 for six days work.
The WCOOP finalist bested a 889-strong field - including French pro Paul Guichard heads-up - to take down the €5,300 event in Normandy.
Kursevich, who also wins a bracelet worth more than €10,000 from Shamballa Jewels, said: “I can’t really believe it. It’s like a dream.
"A lot of times, you finish 28th, fifth, even second – and you think ‘What do I have to do to be the champion’ but when you are, it’s the best feeling in the world."
Luca Pagano must wonder how that feels.
* Satellites are now running for the next stop on the European Poker Tour - the 35,000 DKK buy-in EPT Copenhagen next month - on PokerStars
EPT Deauville 2012
Final table payouts
1. Vadzim Kursevich, Belarus, €875,000
2. Paul Guichard, France, €557,000
3. Vuong Than Trong, France, €328,000
4. Yorane Kerignard, France, €260,000
5. Bruno Jais, France, €200,000
6. Olivier Rogez, France €155,000
7. Luca Pagano, Italy, €110,000
8. Mick Graydon, Ireland, €67,200