These are the hand rankings used in most forms of poker, including Texas Hold'em, Seven Card Stud, Five Card Draw and Omaha.
- High card: The weakest hand in poker. You have one card, up to an Ace in value, and four side or 'rag' (useless) cards.
What if there's a tie?: Highest card wins, and if necessary, the second-highest, third-highest and so on.
- One pair: Two cards of the same rank, and three rag cards.
What if there's a tie?: Highest pair wins. If players have the same pair, the highest side card wins.
- Two pair: Two cards of the same rank combined with another two cards of a different matching rank, and one rag card.
What if there's a tie?: Highest pair wins. If players have the same highest pair, highest second pair wins. If both players have two identical pairs, highest side card wins.
- Three of a kind: Three cards of the same rank, and two rags.
What if there's a tie?: Highest ranking three of a kind wins.
- Straight: Five cards in sequence. Ace can be high or low (eg, A,2,3,4,5 or 10,J,Q,K,A)
Highest ranking card at the top of the sequence wins.
- Flush: Five cards of the same suit, eg, hearts
What if there's a tie?:The player with the highest ranked card (highest flush) wins. If there is still a tie, the second-highest, third-highest etc cards can be used to break the tie. In the unlikely event that both players have five cards with the same ranks, the pot is split.
- Full House: Three cards of the same rank (eg, 5,5,5), and two matching cards of a different rank (eg, 2,2)
What if there's a tie?: Highest three matching cards wins the pot.
- Four of a Kind: Four cards of the same rank, and one side card (known as the 'kicker’)
What if there's a tie?: Highest four of a kind wins.
- Straight Flush: Five cards, of the same suit, in consecutive order
What if there's a tie? Highest rank at the top of the sequence wins.
- Royal Flush: The best possible hand in poker. An ace, king, queen, jack and ten of the same suit. A royal flush is an unbeatable hand.
What if there's a tie?: Call Elvis and tell him that pigs are flying. Over Mars. In bikinis. Seriously, won't happen. The odds of one player getting a royal flush are about 650,000-1 (see table below).
Hand rankings – Odds table
|Hand||No. of Ways||Odds|
|Royal Flush||4||1 in 649,740|
|Straight Flush||36||1 in 72,193.33|
|4 of a Kind||624||1 in 4,165|
|Full House||3,744||1 in 694.16|
|Flush||5,108||1 in 508.80|
|Straight||10,200||1 in 254.80|
|3 of a Kind||54,912||1 in 47.32|
|Two Pairs||123,552||1 in 21.03|
|One Pair||1,098,240||1 in 2.36|